[ Post a Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]

Re: Coal Fired Boilers

From: Original Wally
Location: La Crosse, WI
email: pattywalataoldotcom
Remote Name: 75.129.56.19
Date: 12.31.08
Time: 03:40:56 PM

Comments

I used to fire and engineer #1630 loco at Illinois Railway Museum. First you install a temporary stack fan and shake the grates (these 2 things are a great hangover killer). With clean grates (and assuming you have water in the boiler reduced to 1/3 glass), you place a thin layer of coal covering the grates evenly then put in a mix of wood and newspaper in layers over the coal with a little splash of fuel oil. I put some fuel oil on coal in a shovel before throwing it in on top of the wood and paper. I then make newspaper soaked in fuel oil fireballs that I pitch all around the firebox to light off. Let it heat slowly for about 3 hours to get up steam until safety valve goes off - cool off by adding water to proper level. Grease and oil engine during building of steam. Some greasing requires air which requires the steam to be up.

Copyright Boatnerd.com  All Rights Reserved.
             Instructions/FAQ